EDU 315

This blog was created for my education class incorporating technology into the classroom. Below will contain the thoughts that occupy my jumbled mind.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Who went into teaching for the money? I know I didn't...

Ok, there have been many claims lately that teachers are being overpaid for the type of job that they hold. In eClassroom News, there is an article on the fallacies of this argument. I feel it is definitely an eye opener for those who debate that teachers are babysitters and get paid too much for the job they have.

First of all, I agree with the fact that education majors seem to get better grades than an engineering major. Like the article said, there are no direct yes or no answers for education where there are only yes and no questions for example, engineering. When I take my exams, I get to explain my reasoning, where it is right or wrong for others. I don't find it fair that they judge us and feel that we are less intelligent than them. Yes, I do not know how to solve the very complicated equations that they need to solve to make sure something operates, but I would like to throw them into my classroom and try to teach 7 yr olds- 10 yr olds. They would be lost, as I would be in their field.

Second, I do not like the fact that they feel that our degree does not represent professionalism. I need to go through 4 years of college like them, I need a masters degree like them and if I want to go further, I need more credentials to run a school or to become a professor. My years at school I have taken exams, exams that also are rquired to become certified and I have sat in on classes to gain experience before I am to student teach. What is not required of me is to be a friend, to care, to help, to listen, to mentor, to tutor, to guide a student. Those come from my heart and my want to be a teacher.

All these people that claim that teachers are overpaid need to think a little. They would not be who they are today without the teachers they had in the past. They might have had natural intelligence, but I bet they did not know how to use it when they were 6 years old. They would not know how to write, read or speak correctly if it wasn't from the guidance of a teacher. I feel that teachers will never win this battle completely, but it's worth a try to make others understand.

My mother, a verteran teacher always said, "A person never goes into teaching for the money. A person goes into teaching because of their heart." I agree, and never have understood this more until this year.

http://www.eclassroomnews.com/2011/11/08/four-fallacies-of-the-teachers-are-overpaid-argument/?

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with your quote! That's all teachers moto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot agree more, teachers work very hard to do their job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Arielle! Teachers put a lot of effort into what they do everyday, that most people who are not teachers do not see the behind-the-scenes work teacher do. It is not for the money, but the satisfaction of helping children become successful learners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote from your mom. It's very true. Maybe further along down the road teachers will be compensated fairly for all the hard work they do on a day to day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right;teachers are underpaid. Those that say teachers are overpaid have never set foot in a classroom. They have no idea what the responsibilites of a teacher are. They have a temporary case of amnesia. I guess they forgot that most of what they learned in life was from a teacher. I have been told that the teachering profession is the only profession that has so many requirements, and certifications, and hoops to jump through. Those who teach children do it because it is there passion, and for their love of children.

    ReplyDelete